Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Artist, Juror, Silverpop-pop

I have painted this little bridge, in Merion Park, in all kinds of weather, and I hoped to do
so again this past weekend...but it was not meant to be. (5 X 7" oil on panel  Sold)
Friday I spent all morning at the Greater Norristown Art League as juror of their 68th Annual
Open Juried Exhibition. Here I am with friend Jo Ann Cooksey Bono, who Co-Chaired the
Exhibition with Susannah Hart Thomer.  (gnal.org/generalinformation.htm)

There were over 230 submissions, out of which I had to chose 100 for the show. That was
difficult enough, but the real challenge was choosing the Award Winners from the many really
wonderful pieces of art.

Saturday I was up at 6 a.m.and by 8 I was sitting across the street from the very elaborate
and imposing gated entrance to the historic Laurel Hill Cemetery, on Ridge Avenue, in
Philadelphia. I'd bought lots of coffee and donuts to help welcome fellow members of the
Philadelphia Water Color Society to our annual Spring Paint Out.

By noon 8 or 10 PWCS members could be found sitting or standing in the shade on the hot day,
some painting, some drawing, some just taking reference photos to work from in their studios. 


 From 2 until around 4:30 p.m.I donned my hat as proud father and grandfather-babysitter,
watching after Diver while her parents, Maggi and Pierce, along with 2 or 3 other bands,
played a Fund Raiser, in the back yard of a friend of theirs.

By 7:30 that evening I was back in Norristown, attending the reception for the exhibition I'd
juried the day before. I'd wanted to meet the artists, some of whom had spent the earlier part
of the day, painting in Laurel Hill Cemetary. Here I'm congratulating Siv Spurgeon, to whom
I gave the top award of "Best In Show."

Sunday was truly a much needed day of rest, spent mostly with my 97 year old father,
just "hangin' out.,"in South Jersey.  There'll always be more opportunities to go painting...
one or two days...next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment