Monday, May 31, 2010

Thank Goodness For The Lowly Napkin

As I said in an earlier post, I have been drawing in my sketchbooks sine 1974.
There are those rare times when I do not have my sketchbook with me.
At those moments, when I see a drawing waiting to happen,
I reach for the nearest stack of napkins.
The paper in napkins is of low quality, and because of that, it is also very absorbent.
When my hand hesitates for even a second, the ink makes a little extra dense mark,
thus, giving a certain "character" to the line, and the overall feel of the drawing.
That appeals to my sense of the unexpected.

Here are some examples of recent images. I draw what I see, and write what I hear.

I really don't think I want to know what was being planned here...?


This was waiting for a drawing.


Sometimes I feel like a fly on the wall.


Image problems, to say the least. And that rhymes with "Priest."


Now back to the things that really matter.
And so life, and my observations of the human condition, go on.

2 comments:

  1. Salutations, Bill! Sitting in Town Hall on a steamy Sunday afternoon, perusing your most engaging blog, with your paintings surrounding me. I missed your show Friday night because of my scatter-brained-ness, but I wanted you to know that I'm a HUGE fan. You may already know this. Sent a few invites to follow along with me and I look forward to reading more. Perhaps next time you do some plein air painting, I'll tag along to do some writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey,
    I'll take you up on that suggestion.
    I'll make sure there's a bench nearby my set-up.

    ReplyDelete